In our work with hundreds of school districts, we have found that the most successful schools make five key commitments to their staff and students. Successful schools
- Build classroom cultures that promote high levels of learning.
- Help every teacher develop a repertoire of research-based tools and strategies.
- Making learning personal.
- Design high-quality instructional units.
- Establishing professional learning communities that support teachers.
Our comprehensive approach to professional development is designed to help every school and district make and support these five commitments. We call this approach to professional development the Thoughtful Classroom.